Sunday 12 February 2012

Loysel’s Toy Café.......Singapore


Dear Papa Palheta,

I went to your Loysel’s Toy Café with some friends today and was spellbound by the laid-back, rustic charm that exudes from the alfresco garden furniture, bicycles displayed for rental, colossal bonsais, a graffiti storefront depicting the transit of coffee et al. It is a rare dining scene in Singapore.



However, this is not my main motive for traipsing all the way to 66 Kampong Bugis. I am here purely to savor a cuppa crafted by your brainchild. Sipping my Affogato seems to require a bit of D.I.Y-mixology: pour the brewed coffee over the ice-cream and muddle.




The end result is akin to a shot of stout; so robust that my wearied mind was awakened by the opulent aroma and a bitter-piquant aftertaste which only coffee connoisseurs can relate and appreciate.

I harmonized the lingering aftertaste with some tangy bites of a Lemon Tart; a short crust pastry filled with freshly-whipped zesty lemon cream. So far so good and I could feel that I was distant from needing a siesta, as it was a languid afternoon.




Next, came along a slice of Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake which I found it cloying and heavy-bodied with hints of peanut butter; not that it is poorly baked but just not my ideal cake...


Two of my friends went for Earl Grey Tea with notes of Lavender displayed in lovely tableware, which is fit for lassies’ tea sessions in the courtyard.


Recurring gusts of winds caressed our faces and hair as we ensconced at a nook in the alfresco. We chatted and chatted…as if the evening never arrive. We were completely soaked into the genius loci.


To conclude, here’s what I would share with my other friends:
Who’s there: Hipsters, Families-in-the-know, Couples yearning for rustic rendezvous 
What to avoid in the Alfresco: Alluring Wigs, Marilyn Monroe’s dresses, Sassy Hats
What to wear: Jane March’s braids, Aviator sunglasses, Levis Capris
Where to sit: Inside the café; watching the baristas pulling their brewing stunners and at the same time, enjoying controlled-cold-air especially when Mr Wind is not blowing.
When to go: Tues-Fri (9am-6pm), Sat-Sun (9am-7.30pm)
What to do next: Stroll leisurely along the proximate Kallang Riverside Park or rent some bicycles and have an impromptu friendly match.


Someday, I will drop by and pay you a visit too.


Yours sincerely,
Zon




*** For more info on the menu, please visit http://www.loyselstoy.com/ ***



No comments:

Post a Comment