Thursday 22 September 2011

My Antidote Meal


A beautiful and slim Hong Kong friend once shared with me that a hearty meal will cheer her up. It is hard for me to decipher her doing especially when I know where she is coming from; she’s very health-conscious unlike me. But I couldn’t agree less with her.

Lately, I have discovered a killer combo meal which can instantly lift up my spirits. I called it my antidote - ‘Ayam Penyet with Nasi (Smashed Fried Chicken with White Rice) & a bowl of Sayur Asam (Sour Soup)’.

The quintessential relish for this meal, Sambal Belacan sets to ‘ignite’ your Indonesian Courses. To neutralize its hot, fiery spiciness; add Kecap Manis, a dark-colored sweet soy sauce. The sambal belacan teams up well with the crispy smashed deep-fried battered chicken and her side companions: deep fried beancurd and tempeh (fermented soybean cake).

The accomplice, Sayur Asam (Sour soup) is made up of peanuts, corn, white melon, long beans, white cabbage and tamarind. This wholesome bowl of vegetable soup gave me a well-needed dosage of zest as I slurped and savored.

One mouthful was spicy, piquant and crisp-well-salted and the next mouthful was sweet and tart as I indulged alternately between these 2 killer-dishes. I felt high akin to popping ecstasy and for the next hour or more, I felt blur, distant from my blues; a new discovery of food therapy for my soul. I believe this combo meal will be a favorite of Tom Yum Goong’s fans out there. (To check out my antidote meal, please visit www.ayampenyetria.com/home.html)

No comments:

Post a Comment