Wednesday 23 November 2011

Exotic Fijian Longans


This triplet of Fijian Longans is complimentary from the fruiterer when I purchased the Golden Apples. The fruit is shaped like a round plum and its flesh is encased in a hard, dark purplish-brown shell which you would have to crack open like you do to a hard-boiled egg in order to savor it. The flesh tastes delightfully sweet and succulent; the texture is a cross between a longan and rambutan. The fruiterer told me that this exotic fruit is derived from a Malaysian friend’s orchard and not for sale. Later, I learnt that its botanical name is Pometia Pinnata while its Malaysian name is called Kasai.*

The scant triplet is at a premium and in the end, distributed among my father, mother and myself. I hope our local fruiterers can bring in this exquisite fruit which I believe its novelty will boost up sales.


*http://www.montosogardens.com/pometia_pinnata.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment